Automation Gateway resides on the same server as your Ansible implementation. If you have multiple Ansible implementations, you must install Automation Gateway for each Ansible implementation. Optionally, Itential adapters will connect into each Automation Gateway installation to manage all of your Ansible networks from a single point within Itential Automation Platform (IAP).
Itential Automation Gateway (IAG) is compatible with several third-party software products, including open source, for network operating environments. All third-party software version compatibility is documented in Release Notes. To get the most up-to-date compatibility requirements, first identify which IAG release you’re using and then refer to the respective release notes.
The following prerequisites are needed to install and configure Itential Automation Gateway. Always refer to Release Notes for a more exhaustive list of requirements.
- RHEL/CentOS 7
- Python 3.9
- Ansible 2.8 - 2.10
Automation Gateway is a pip-installed Python package which is supported on a RHEL/CentOS base due to compatibility, security, and scaling considerations regarding the tools that it integrates with (Ansible, Nornir, Terraform, etc). In general, you can use any method to install Python or Ansible as long as the versions match the requirements for your particular Automation Gateway package.
⚠ Access to Itential's pip registry is required to download and install the Automation Gateway software. To obtain your credentials, contact the Itential Service Desk.
The overall steps to install Automation Gateway on a fresh server are:
- Ensure the system has the correct, updated repositories and packages.
- Ensure the system has the correct version of Python installed and available to the non-root user (eg. itential).
- Install the Automation Gateway with pip via the Itential Pip Registry and your credentials.
- Ensure you have installed all applicable integrations that you wish to use such as Ansible, Terraform, etc.
- Supply the correct properties to Automation Gateway which describe enabled integrations, content locations, etc.
- Ensure your server has the correct ports open and security settings (selinux, ssl, etc) in place for web traffic.
- Startup Automation Gateway.